Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I've been here before

I started a new job a few weeks ago. It's only 2 days a week, which is about all I wanted. It all came together in a strange way. The job was only advertised in a limited arena and as a temporary position ... I decided to apply without telling DH - I guess just to prove to myself that I could still do it.

When I found out about the position I emailed a friend from uni that I recently reconnected with (the wonders of Facebook!) to ask her help with the application process. It turned out that the job was where she worked, and was actually the residual hours from her full time position (she now works part time).

I was so nervous before the interview - it's the first interview I'd had since 2001. In the end I didn't end up doing anything to prepare, reassuring myself that I am an experienced therapist and have good clinical reasoning - enough that I can talk my way through an interview. It all worked out! I actually found it the easiest, most relaxed interview I've ever done.

The work is familiar. I'm still trying to get my head around all the administrative processes that exist in government offices. I'm also getting used to the consultative service model used, which sees me spending less time "doing therapy" and more time developing program plans and resources for families/teachers to implement themselves.

I'm feeling confident. I'm fitting in.